Monday, November 22, 2010

Chapters 3-5 Discussion Questions

Joe Weirich

1.) In Chapter 3, Kingsolver describes several multinational companies and their dominance of the agricultural industry. Why do so few people know about these companies and why would someone choose to support them when faced with the negative effects Kingsolver describes?
           
A.) Not many people know about these multinational companies (Monsanto, DuPont, Mitsui, exc.) for several reasons, one being lack of interest. If one goes to the store and finds a bag of apples for what they would consider “cheap” why would they care where it comes from or who made it that way, just so long as it stays cheap!  Most people have other things to do besides ponder how their bananas made it all the way from Venezuela to their fridge.

2.) If you knew about the existence of genetically modified plants, how has your view of them changed, if at all? If you did not have previous knowledge of GM plants what are your impressions, try to be objective in your response.
           
            A.) I knew about genetically modified plants before reading this chapter, but I had never known the negative aspects Kingsolver describes. In fact, often described as the end to world hunger, I had always heard them spoken of in a positive light. I find Kingsolver’s testaments appalling, and I feel a tiny bit of shame for supporting the idea of GM plants. My viewpoint on them has certainly changed, even though I see the huge potential in the development of that technology, I know that the potential damage that they could cause to an ecosystem and the planet outweighs the immediate danger of world hunger.

3.) In chapter three, Kingsolver quotes a waitress saying “this is New York, we can get anything we want any day of the year.” Which begs the question. Just because we can have whatever we want, should we get whatever we want?
           
A.) This is a hard question to answer, because I believe firmly in that phrase “the pursuit of happiness”. However I am also a firm believer in balance. Though this may be a copout to a loaded question I think the answer is yes and no. Based on the current state of things, i.e. global warming, failing third world economies, limited supplies of fossil fuels, I would say no, you cant always get what you want. I think its time for the world, in particular America, to wake up and stop living like we don’t notice how poorly we are treating the planet.

4.) In chapter 4 Kingsolver asks, “what is family farming worth?” What is it worth to you?
           
            A.) Family farming doesn’t necessarily mean anything to me because I am not very connected to agriculture. I grew up in the suburbs, and was never very interested in farming or visiting a farm.  After reading the last three chapters I am a little more sympathetic to the small farmer, I support their purity in comparison the large companies whose primary concern is cost cutting and profit margins. Kingsolver claims that if we shift our spending towards small farmers they will in turn support us with crops and livestock. A bold claim considering how much America is capable of consuming. I am interested in this topic however and would support a gradual shift back into private farming.

No comments:

Post a Comment